Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Blog Lovin': The Burning House

Brett Ragowski via The Burning House
I recently stumbled on The Burning House - a blog that has definitely caused me to think. The idea behind it is, "if your house was burning, what would you take with you?" People send in photographs of the things they would rescue from their burning house, all gathered together with a few details about them, and voila - a wonderful way to waste time online!

It's a great idea because it makes you think about what really matters to you - what you would be devastated to lose and what you could really live without in you life. What's more, a person's answers can tell you a lot - what matters to them, their priorities, interests, and even their backgrounds.

As the blog says - its an interview condensed into one question - and a conflict between what's practical, valuable and sentimental. Check out a couple of the submissions...

Abbey Gantt via The Burning House
Name: Abbey Gantt
Age: 16
Location: Connecticut
Occupation: Student and camp counselor

List:
  • Harry Potter wand from Harry Potter World at Universal
  • Pink Buddha figurine (he’s always helped me keep my balance)
  • My favorite books: The Harry Potter Series, The Prophet, and All Quiet on the Western Front
  • My purse (car keys, cell phone, and wallet)
  • My blankie (Had it since the day I was born, sleep with it every night, and always will)
  • Dream Catcher handmade by Lakota Sioux Native Americans on the Cheyenne River Reservation in South Dakota
  • My parent’s wedding picture
  • My two grandmothers
  • My maternal grandparent’s wedding picture
  • A photo album my best friend gave to me, filled with photos of family and friends
  • My favorite sunglasses, and my regular glasses
  • My sketchbook
  • The watch my father gave me, 3 necklaces from 2 very important people
  • My great grandma’s engagement ring, and a ring my maternal grandmother gave me
  • My camera charger
  • My maternal grandpa’s Polaroid camera
  • My lucky hat



Name: Pier Paolo Passsarelli
Location : ROMA
Occupation: Student

List:
  • first pair of converse i bought
  • moleskine and pencil for sketches architectural
  • dictionary ,because i don t know well the english
  • toothpaste and toothbrush (and condom)
  • flip flops
  • t-skirt and underwear
  • book : “l’eleganza del riccio”
  • cd limited edition “confession on a dancefloor”
  • book “sex” (Madonna)
  • sunglasses H&M
  • eye mask (because i can ‘t stand the light at night)
  • digital camera
  • straightner and comb
  • leather bracelet
  • iPhone 4
 

Name: Laura Pritchett (IG: @shepaints)
Age:24
Location:Southern Delaware
Occupation:Artist
  •  The unglamorous but practical galoshes that I wear most often
  •  A painting I am (almost) satisfied with
  •  An irreplaceable blouse which has no tag and I have no idea who made it, but love
  •  The wooden clothes hanger from my grandfather’s closet
  •  The perfectly weathered belt I am rarely without
  •  Candid shot of grandfather and his car
  • The last remnant of family plaid my grandmother brought back from Ireland
  • Keys from my childhood scavenging
  • 1957 edition of the Fanny Farmer Cookbook with my grandmother’s and mother’s recipe alterations handwritten in the margins
  • The bit I trained two horses with
  • Klein bag with my well broken in sable brushes
  • The hatchet my great grandfather used to build his house
  • The Ball jar that I keep all of my flash drives in
  • Family Bible
  • Moleskine journal I kept while traveling in Uganda
  • First fabric sample produced by Tukula.org with my design for Ugandan tailors
  • iPhone

A lot of people actually list their iPhones, which for some reason surprises me...although it shouldn't - I would definitely grab mine. What else would I grab?

-My photo albums from when I lived in Italy
-My journals from middle school, high school, and when I lived in Italy
-A framed sketch of our family cabin
-My pug, Luna
-An antique jewelry box that was a gift from my mom
-A vintage compact that was a gift from my dad
-A painting a friend made for me in college
-A vintage camera that belonged to my Grandpa
-And old VHS tape, made for me by an old boyfriend for my high school graduation, with all my friends saying something to me on it
-My external hard drive for my computer
-My Louis Vuitton bag

What would you take with you if your house was on fire? I am interested to hear what you guys say! Please share with me. 
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment